Vision: All children, nurtured by our strong families and our vibrant community, have opportunities for quality early learning experiences that prepare them for success in school and life.
Education Department is responsible for all levels of learning.
The Education department provides services in the following levels:
- Early Years School’s School (Summer)
- Elementary School (Joseph H Kennedy Public School)
- Secondary School (Iroquois Falls Secondary School)
- Special Education Services (Elementary and Secondary)
- Post-Secondary Program
- Adult Education Program
- Sports (Right to Play)
- Cultural and Language Services
Education contributes to the community’s economic success and to a healthy social environment. Through education, community members are able to get jobs, drive business development and earn more money.
- Improve school attendance by 75%
- Provide incentives awards
- Year End trip for family
- Provide reading program twice per week for members
- Improve the quality of education – This goal calls for improvement in the quality of education in all its aspects. Helping students achieve excellence. Everyone should be able to achieve learning outcomes that are recognized and can be measured, particularly when it comes to literacy, numeracy and other skills essential for life.
Promote learning, skills for our people and adults – This goal places the importance on the learning needs of young people and adults in the background of lifelong learning. It calls for fair access to learning programs that are appropriate, and mentions life skills particularly.
The intent of Wahgoshig’s Education department is to build and maintain a top-quality educational system, including a physical space on reserve, with a holistic learning environment where our children will learn about who they are as aboriginal people, learn about their culture, history, and language, and receive an excellent academic education to ensure they can contribute and live successfully either within the Wahgoshig community, or outside it. Wahgoshig’s Education department will aim to help students achieve academic excellence, practical training, and the capacity to function and thrive in whatever environment they choose to live and work in. The Education department will also seek to move away from systems and curricula that were imposed on them, and towards educational facilities and practices of their own design.