Kevin Tremblay, RSE
Director of Community Development
Vision: Community Development will provide the community with homes, green spaces, and places to meet the community's needs, and maintain a safe and healthy community for our families, and our children’s families for seven generations.
Community Development is responsible for:
- Improvements and maintenance of all housing and infrastructure and public works;
- Making proposals and business plans to get funding for community expansions;
- Creation and implementation of housing programs and policies available to Wahgoshig.
- Planning, scheduling, initiation and management of all capital projects;
- Planning and starting of training programs for interested Band Members;
- Creation and management of long term land use planning;
- Maintenance and monitoring of basic needs such as water and sewage and garbage removal.
Community Development is a key department that has provided:
- Employment and training/certifications in related trades relevant to Community Development.
- Creation and maintenance of recreational safe play areas for youth to promote healthy living and lifestyles.
- Safe sustainable on reserve housing available to both local and off-reserve membership.
- Community beautification
- Elimination of overcrowding in homes to promote healthy safe environments for family growth.
- Elimination of hazards throughout the community
- Policies have been developed for a Housing Authority which will include all work relevant to housing, such as Housing Policies, Individual Home Ownership Programs and their procedures. These documents are currently being finalized for review and ratification;
- The success and finalization of 4 RRAP Programs (2016/2017);
- The successful application and proposal through 3 streams of funding to INAC to subsidize the construction of a 6-plex Elders Complex in the amount of $1.2 million, Capacity Development to create and build a Housing Authority in the amount of $100,000.00 and lot servicing in the amount of $150,000.00;
- Currently working on 3 phase electrical expansion;
- Successful application to CWWF in the amount of $85,000.00 to create ditches and culverts through the community and to build-up driveways where necessary for proper drainage.
Construction of Duplex
Starting construction of:
- 6-plex Elders Complex
- 3 Duplex units
- Completion of:
- Hydro seeding of 5 lots;
- Surveys and widened McDougal Rd
- Baseball Diamond and Football Field and Running Track design
- Employment and training to 8 community members
- Restoration of 2 homes
- Various maintenance throughout the community;
- Successful application to administer a Carpentry Construction Program through College Boreal.
- Successful construction and revitalization of Wahgoshig Beach Project
Planned projects are as follows:
- Completion of all planned Green Space Projects (baseball diamond, football field, lawn seeding, community garden);
- Initiate construction of the Multi-Use Business Center;
- Expansion of three phase power;
- Construction of a gas station and strip mall;
- Construction of 5 single dwelling homes;
- Road resurfacing and sidewalks;
- Initiate a water plant upgrade;
- Closure of the dump and implementation of a solid waste diversion plan (recycling);
- Completion of the following projects:
- Waste water diversion (ditching and culverts);
- 2 RRAP programs;
- Housing Authority and its Policies and Procedures;
- 6-Plex Elders Complex;
- 3 duplex units;
- Carpentry Program.
- Initiate and develop a housing program for single individuals that require in home assistance
Community Development is the combination of previously separate departments. It deals with the community’s housing, building, and infrastructure needs, including (but not limited to) public works, capital projects, roads, energy, parks and greenspace, housing authority, and house/building construction and maintenance. The intent of this department is to build and maintain a safe, affordable, culturally appropriate, holistic community. The purpose and aim of this objective is that with a well built and maintained community model, you also get a well built and maintained membership. Warmth, safety, and improved living conditions provide for physical health and safety. Culturally appropriate places to live and meet with each other, and enjoy the land in the way that Wahgoshig chooses, result in a loving, kind, and respectful community that comes together in attaining their collective vision.