History of Wahgoshig First Nation
Wahgoshig First Nation (7770.1 hectares) is situated in the District of Cochrane at latitude 48 degrees 44' - 48 degrees 33' West and longitude 79 degrees 58' - 80 degrees 01' North. The signing of the James Bay Treaty 9 on June 7th, 1906 created the reserve Abitibi No. 70. Highway 101 provides access to 5.8 km long reserve road, approximately 50 km east of Matheson, Ontario, within a few miles of the western Quebec border. The north end of the reserve meets the south shore of Abitibi Lake, which separates the two provinces.
The community where all the on-reserve members reside occupies about 25 hectares of the 70 hectares of flat land adjacent to, and east of, Blueberry Lake.
On Reserve: 150
Off Reserve: 180
Wahgoshig First Nation is approximately 7771 hectares in size. The north shore of the reserve meets the south shore of Lake Abitibi.
There are approximately 60 homes on Wahgoshig First Nation.
Wahgoshig First Nation support their own Fire Department and equipment, and a First-Response Team.
- Power supply through Hydro grid
- Communal water system
- Water treatment facility
- Health Clinic
- Fire Department
- Community Centre
- Education Centre
- Boat Launch